History of the West Park
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
Go to Articles Page Go to Main page
Rockport Hamlet Driving Park
The Rockport Hamlet Driving Park was built in 1890 by Fred Colbrunn, a son of Fred Colbrunn who settled in the area in the 1830. A harness racing track complete with a half-mile track and grandstand, it faced West 159th Street, running north from Lorain Avenue to Lucille Avenue. The stables stood at the south end along Lorain Street while a saloon and a concession stand were on the west side along West 165th Street. The entire facility was surrounded by a tall wooden fence. Children of the area spent many afternoons sitting on the fence or peeking through it. Races were organized for a two to three week period, several times a year attracting horse racers from all of Ohio and even Kentucky.
The area was annexed by Cleveland in 1923 and the Cleveland School Board purchased the race track for $15,000.00. George Washington Elementary School (still standing behind the present Dunkin' Donuts shop) was constructed on the south end of the property the same year. Newton D. Baker Junior High School was built on the north end.
The 1902 Auto Races at the Rockport Hamlet Driving Park
Go to Articles Page
Go to Places Gone page
Go to Contents page
Go to Main page
Email The West Park History site
Updated 3 July 20014